We help our clients overcome legal complexity and unlock opportunity in Africa. Our track record of providing specialist legal services in the fields of corporate law, banking and finance law and dispute resolution, spans over a century. With eight offices in six African countries and over 400 specialist lawyers, we draw on our unique knowledge of the business and socio-political environment to advise clients on a wide range of legal issues.
Everywhere we work, we offer clients a service that uniquely blends expertise in the law, knowledge of the local market, and an understanding of their businesses. Our aim is to assist them to achieve their objectives as smoothly and efficiently as possible while minimising the legal and regulatory risks. Our clients include corporates, multinationals and state-owned enterprises across a range of industry sectors as well as financial institutions and governments.
The drive by governments in Sub-Saharan Africa to stimulate employment, protect workers’ rights and address historical imbalances has produced a variety of distinct regulatory systems for employment in the region. This is made more complex by a strong culture of collective bargaining, and an overlap between labour and social issues, between strikes and social protest across the region. We have been at the forefront of employment law in the region for many years.
Our Specialist Employment Law Services include:
We advise clients on the contractual aspects of engaging, moving and rewarding their employees in a way that complies with the applicable regulatory environment. Our specialist services include advising on:
- Establishing a local corporate presence (regulatory obligations, registrations)
- Contractual arrangements (contracts of employment, a-typical employment)
- Executives (bespoke contractual arrangements, directorships, compensation, tax)
- Employment equity and business diversity
- Policy development
- Benefit schemes (pension, medical insurance, share schemes)
- Employee mobility (immigration, secondment, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional employment)
- Investigations and Employee Risk Management
- Business Transfers, Outsourcing and Restructuring
- Industrial Relations
- Dispute Resolution